Friday, October 1, 2010

Featured Post

Today is an exciting day for me. Something I made was featured on Sew a Straight Line by Sabra. If you have never visited her blog, it is a must see. She has such creative ideas and easy tutorials to follow. Especially for a beginner sewer like myself. 

A couple weeks ago I decided to attempt to sew my first article of clothing: a jacket for Ellie. I found this adorable jacket pattern and tutorial by Sabra and I knew Ellie had to have it!

I did modify the original pattern a little, changing the fabric of the waistband, adding cuffs, and leaving out the interfacing in the collar.

And just so you know, my husband picked out the fabric for this jacket. Yep, he went to the fabric store all by himself and brought home this adorable print so I could make something with it. Oh, how I love him.



Of course I had to add a little sparkle to the jacket. These buttons were perfect. 

And Ellie looks so adorable in it!




I have an obsession. Well...one of many. I am addicted to headbands. Ellie never leaves the house without one. So, of course, I had to make one to match her cute new jacket!

I found two tutorials to work from. This fabric headband tutorial and these fabric yo-yo instructions.


I just made a simple fabric headband and two yo-yos of different sizes. I hand-sewed the smaller yo-yo to the larger one and hot glued them to the headband. I then took a small piece of coordinating felt and glued it to the back of the yo-yos, sandwiching the headband in between the felt and the yo-yos. 

It turned out even better than I thought it would!



This project was so much fun! But what made it even better was having such great tutorials to work from. I cannot wait to make another jacket like this!


Now go make something, and enjoy the day!





1 comment:

  1. so so so cute amy!!

    i'm so excited for you that you have a blog AND you've already been featured!! awesome ;)

    good luck today at the coffee shop... i hear i may be working with you this week. yea!

    ReplyDelete